Saturday, September 3, 2011

Brenda and Wayne Palmer.


I never knew the two of you together. I never knew the two of you before you met, apart. I have seen many pictures, huge Farrah Fawcett hair and short wide paisley ties. I see you together smiling, in love and full of life and passion. I hear stories about how you met, how mom knew the moment she met you that you were who God had for her, and she swore that very day she would marry you. I am pretty sure if she said that to you you would have laughed at her. I have Tupperware boxes full of all the letters she sent you during your forever long long distance relationship. They are written in beautiful cursive with bright colored 70s stickers about loving Jesus. Most of them go on and on about her love of God, and you and the collaboration of the two. I wish I had what you had written her. There are no wedding pictures left except the one I have of mom by herself in the simple white gown, form fitting and with a feathered robe and hood. She looked beautiful. I wish I could have seen your cake- more so, it smeared onto your faces while you laugh. I wish the first dance as husband and wife was captured on film for me to see all these years later.
The people you are now, after a failed marriage and everything else that life has given you, are not the people I see in those pictures. You are not the people I hear you tell stories about. You have both made a way for yourselves, in new and great relationships, but you just aren't who I know you once were. What would I not give to spend a day with Brenda and Wayne, my mom and dad, before life swept them apart and forced them to become the people I know now. Don't get me wrong, I love and adore the people I know now in you all. You are two of my best friends. But the youth, and passion, and freedom I know must have existed in both of you one time, long ago, seems to have gone....I want to see it, for me- but I would also love to give you two a chance to feel it again.

Love, with all of me in every way,
Brooksie

1 comment: