Friday, September 16, 2011

Dear Brooks

I think it'd be really funny if I wrote this letter and said "When I first met you, I thought you were way too cool for me. But then I came to find out, you're not really that cool! Yay, we're friends now!!!"

But of course that's not entirely true.

The first time I saw you, I was standing inside of a roller derby booth. I shrank away. I think you were with your husband, and maybe your kids were there. All I remember is thinking: "Those people are cool. They're like retro, vintage, rockabilly, pinup, hipster-y type people. What are they doing in Oak Harbor???"

The next time I saw you was at derby. Maybe a meeting. You had friends. It all looked very clique-ish. There were inside jokes being thrown around. I was uber intimidated. I thought to myself, "Wow. That woman is DEFINITELY way too cool to be MY friend."

I added you as a friend on Facebook anyway, and I stalked your profile. That's when I found out you loved Jesus. "What in the hell..?" I was shocked. And confused. And somewhat fascinated. "She has piercings all over her face and a large majority of her skin is covered in tattoos. Is this right? Maybe she's just joking. She's not a Christian." Well. Clearly, you are.

We attended a barbecue/get together. You asked me what kind of music I liked. I never really have any idea how to answer that question to begin with, coupled with the fact that I was stunned that you were speaking to me. I think I was too busy staring at your perfect hair and makeup and funky outfit and thinking "Doesn't this chick have children? How in the world does she always look so put-together?" I looked down at the jeans I've been wearing since 2003 and the grease stained Old Navy t-shirt I've probably had for even longer.

You tried to talk to me at practice once. You asked me about Fiona Apple. I started to crack. Anyone who is a fan of Fiona Apple, too cool for me, or too Christian for me...well, it just wipes the slate clean and makes me realize that you're a decent human being with excellent taste in music.

I don't know what happened after that, but somehow a friendship developed and I got to know who you really are, underneath the badass exterior. There are things I thought you'd be like that still hold true: You've lived an interesting life. You are creative and deep and insanely talented. You're smart and sarcastically hilarious. But there are other things I hadn't known before: You are a devoted mother and wife and you appear to handle both roles fantastically. You are the world's greatest listener. You stay true to your morals.

You are the shit, my friend. My coolest (way too cool for me) friend and I am so thankful to have you in my life.

With love,

Rae

1 comment:

  1. I'm crying Rachael. Thank you so much. I am thankful for you, too.

    ReplyDelete