Monday, September 12, 2011

Grams



Grandma-

I love you so much more than I can explain. Aside from Dave, you are my absolute most favorite person in the world. I can always count on you for unflinching support. If I tell you about something I find funny, you laugh. If I tell you that I got an A, you tell me that I'm awesome. When I told you I started running, you told me you knew that I would be successful. When other people have said, "Another baby, really?!?!?!" You said, "Another baby! That's wonderful!?"

I always know that you are in my corner. You always have been. Even when I was six and calling you because my mom was drunk and freaking me out with her behavior. You made me eggs and sausage, chipped beef, brown sugar bread, whatever else I wanted for breakfast. You dropped me off for school every day with a homemade lunch in a tin, yellow submarine lunch box. You picked me up every day and you were on time and had a smile on your face. You would lay with me for hours telling my stories about my mom and my uncles when they were kids. You would sing me "The song of love" as many times as I asked. I sing that song to my kids now and they love it.

You are the the person that I love and respect the most in the world and you have earned every ounce of that love. You even put up with me when I was an out-of-control teen and an even more out-of-control young adult. You called me on my crap, but you never stopped supporting me. You have always made it clear that you love me completely and that you support me in every endeavor.

Now, you are eighty-two years old. Your memories are fading and you've lost a lot of weight. I live over a thousand miles away from you, but I try and call you every day. I wish, more than anything, that I could be there to take you to and from the store and to and from appointments. I want to do for you what you did for me when I was a kid. I want to pay you back for every thing you have done for me, because I love you and I want you to know how much I love you.

I want you to know that I remember. I remember every story, every rescue, every kiss, and every lovingly prepared meal. I remember when you would come out and shoot hoops with me in the back yard. I'll be there, even if it's over the phone, to tell you stories and remind you of things. I will sit by your side and remind you how to play solitaire as your memory goes. I'll love you forever, because I know you'll love me forever.

Love,
Molly

1 comment: