Friday, September 23, 2011

Shirlee.

It is hard to believe it has almost been a year since I spent every Tuesday morning sitting on an overstuffed brown leather sofa in the the most beautiful house on this island. I remember the first time we met at your office in Coupville. You told me what I would go through with you would be painful and at times unbearable. I remember thinking that sounded so silly, because I was so separated from all this "stuff" we would be dealing with. I remember telling you that I was not going to tell my family a thing. Looking back it seems ridiculous that I would say such a thing, but you were so gracious. You told me everything was up to me and that you understood and respected any decision I made.
The first time or two we met seemed harmless enough. I know it wasn't easy, but it didn't seem as treacherous as you had warned it may be. It quickly became as such. You picked the perfect material for us to work through, even though sometimes I felt like if I read another word out of that book I would simply die. No matter how hard the reading was on my own at home, every time I sat down with you to discuss it, I felt safe. You would sit and listen quietly, nod and point things out that I may have missed. If I was crying too terribly you would sit next to me and just hold me. You reminded me how much God loved me, no matter what. You reminded me that I mattered. You were key in helping me believe that I was more than some mediocre work. You helped me learn to believe that I am a masterpiece. You gently, gracefully and lovingly guided me through the hardest thing I have ever done.
You are an angel Shirlee. You are the softest most gracious and merciful person I have ever met and I feel so blessed to know you. You have such a high calling on your life and you are fulfilling it. You are walking with others through the most painful experiences of their lives, and you feel the pain too. You are beautiful and astounding and I hope that I can radiate even a fraction of the love that you radiate at some point in my lifetime.
Thank you for everything, you changed my life.

Love,
Brooks

No comments:

Post a Comment