Friday, September 16, 2011

I Judge You for Judging Me. A Letter to Organic Jane.

Dear Wonder Woman,

I see you at the commissary with your hemp purse, worn in Birkenstock clogs, and crochet sweater. I see you browsing isles, picking only the best for your family. I see you reading labels and abruptly placing things back into their spot on the shelf. In the checkout line I see your buggy. It is barely full, and consists only of fresh organic produce, organic dairy products, organic juices, free range meat, and organic canned goods. I look into that cart and wonder how in the world you feed a whole family with such a tiny amount of stock. My own cart is stuffed full and overflowing with frozen pizza, fruit snacks, an enormous bulk bag of Fruit-O's, flavored coffee creamer, egg whites in a carton and an EF ton of juice. It's 100% though. The kind with veggies mixed in. That counts for something right?
The problem is I know that despite your sweet organic smile, you are judging me. You are eying my cart, and my red headed toddler thinking, "That poor little girl. Her mother is stuffing her full of poisons and is too ignorant to know." I do know Wonder Woman. I KNOW. I know because I was you for a short time. I was the lady with the cart only a quarter of the way full and worth upwards of $200. I was staring at people and their own groceries thinking what idiots they were. I saw them and their instant potatoes and handi-snack cheese dippers and I judged their intelligence and labeled them ignorant.
Neither of us is ignorant. You believe that somehow buying organic food will prolong the life and health of your family. You might be right. I believe that I can spend all my money on organic food all day and still die some sort sort awful death due to chemicals. I might be right. I get you, Wonder Woman. You are putting all your trust in right food, right water, right eating utensils, right paper products, HEPA filter vacuums and free range chickens. I think this is wise, I just choose not to live this way. I chose to trust God and not become completely absorbed with the fact that EVERYTHING ON THE PLANET is killing us. We are screwed, organic oranges or not. Lets stop looking at each other as opponents and learn to be friends. Lets share ideas that make life easier and healthier. Lets bend. Both of us.

Namaste....or whatever...(sorry, that's judging...)
Brooks

3 comments: