Saturday, September 10, 2011

Uncle Bill.

My dearest uncle, I think about you every day. Every day, I look down at my wedding ring and remember that Aunt Fran wore it for fifty years and I realize that you have helped to bless me. By the time I give this ring to my daughter or daughter-in-law it will have probably been worn for a century's worth of happy marriage. I feel honored to wear the ring that you gave to Aunt Fran.

You were one of the lights of my life. I will never forget your fried chicken and your strawberry rhubarb pie. I will never forget the way you stocked your fridge with all of my favorite foods when you knew I was coming over. I loved watching Steel Magnolias in your t.v. room, in the recliner. I remember going to walk back there and realizing the haze of smoke meant that Mark was home for a visit. So many many memories, and not a single one of them is bad.

I remember when we found out that the cancer was going to kill you. You took me to Wendy's once a week for lunch so that we would get to make some memories before you died. I remember your immeasurable faith and your amazing friendship with Father Roger. I miss him too, but I think you guys are probably glad to be together.

I remember your life but I also remember your death. I remember when the cancer had spread so far that you couldn't move your face anymore. I remember you trying so hard to tell me that you loved me, but you couldn't get your lips to work correctly. I remember how hard you tried to reach up to touch my face. I remember how skinny you were. You blended in with the mattress because you were so small.

I remember leaving your house that night and walking all the way home, I sobbed the whole way. I wrote you a poem that night. That night you died. I let you go, so off you went. If anyone was ever totally safe and secure in the Lord, it's you. I have known since the moment you left that you are watching over me from Heaven. I know that you are a guiding force of good in my life. I miss you so much, I miss you every day. But every day, while I am missing you, I can feel you.

Rest Easy. I love you.

Love,
Molly

P.S. I have to be honest, I have never really liked Nilla Wafers.

No comments:

Post a Comment