Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Dear Grandpa-

Fuck you.

You broke my family. You broke my mom. You broke my grandma. It's been three years without you and everyone is still broken because of you. In fact, I think that we are all more broken than we were when you were alive.

You spent more than forty years treating my mom and Uncle Chuck like dirt. You spent decades drinking and terrorizing everyone around you. You ruled your home with an iron fist and then suddenly, one day you were gone. After a 78 year reign of terror, you were gone in the blink of an eye.

I thought I missed you. I thought that your death meant that I would never have the chance to make you proud and to show you how impressive I really was. Then, I found out that even in death you had found ways of breaking my mother. Even in death you found ways of creating anger and division.

How can one person be so cruel? How can someone who was intelligent and successful be so uncaring and unfeeling? Why did you marry a woman with two children if you didn't have the desire or ability to love the kids? What made you think it was okay to treat to children who thought of you as their father the way that you did?

You are the worst person I have ever met. I wish that I could talk to you and tell you that. I wish I could stand in front of you and say, "You suck." Then I would kick you in the shins and run away. I should have done that when I was a child, but I was too busy seeking your approval. Even now, writing this, my hands are shaking with the anger that I feel toward you.

You broke us all and I will never forgive you.

-Molly

2 comments:

  1. I am sad for you. I am sad to hear that you hold such a hate in your heart. I am sad because holding hate is only hurting you, and I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't hate him. I'm just angry with him and I regret that I was not more honest with him about my feelings when he was alive.

    ReplyDelete