Thursday, September 22, 2011

Dear You.

I don't remember your name. What I do remember is that you were friends with my uncle while he lived in Kansas. I don't remember what he was doing in Kansas, but I remember visiting him there for a summer. I remember a lot of things about that trip. I remember waking up with a gigantic canker sore and him rushing me to the dentist. I remember eating a lot of oranges. I remember you.

You were really tan and you had blond hair. You were his friend in a place where he was far away from his wife and the rest of his family. Looking back, my guess is that you had a crush on him. My uncle is the smartest, kindest, most intelligent man that I know. He's handsome and athletic. He's a doctor. He likes kids and he loves dogs. He's funny and he can draw well. He's that person that is good at any and everything that he does. I was in awe of him as a small child and I am still in awe of him today. In fact, possibly even more so now. I won't go into that here though. We're here to talk about you.

You and my uncle took me to a place that was similar to Chuck E. Cheese. It had really lame food, games, tickets to be won, and it probably wasn't very impressive. I liked it then though because I was a kid. I remember you tirelessly playing Skeeball with me. You won tickets for me and took part in all of the games. You even smiled for a couple of pictures with me. I still have them. I have long, brown, ratty hair. I am wearing a shirt with a cartoon character on it. You have on shorts and a white tee. You look genuinely happy to be with me.

I remember that I cashed in my tickets for a slinky. It was silver and I ruined it on my uncle's apartment stairs later that night. Then, my uncle and I left Kansas. I believe we drove to Illinois together because he was finally moving back to live with his wife. They'd only lived apart because he was a grad student and she had a really important job that she couldn't leave. I was sad to say goodbye to you and I kept calling you my friend.

I only knew you for one day. You were very nice to me. Thanks.

Love,
Molly

No comments:

Post a Comment