Friday, September 9, 2011

Dear Mom-

At first I couldn't think of someone that I've drifted away from that I would want to write to, then it occurred to me that you and I have drifted apart. Granted, it was recent, but it happened and we are still apart.

I want to start out by saying that I'm sorry. I said some crappy things to you and I should have controlled my anger better. Also, I could have handled the situation as a whole much better. I am adult enough that I won't pretend to be blameless in the situation, I just wish that you were adult enough to do the same.

I am not going to pretend, even for a moment, that I am not intensely angry with you. My frustration is only matched by my hurt. You refused to listen to me and didn't even have the respect for me to call me and talk to me, you chose to text me. Then you chose to believe that I am upset over money, instead of really listening to what I was trying to say. This is a recurring theme with us. You talk over me, I talk over you, we interrupt, and we get nowhere except hurt.

I have never, not even for a moment, felt like you have truly listened to me. Even if I am trying to explain something funny or trivial, I hear you zone out on the phone or you interrupt me to tell me something else. It's the worst feeling in the world, feeling like your own mother doesn't care what you have to say. I have felt like that since I was a child and now I am a married adult who still feels marginalized by you.

Though I accept my role in our most recent falling out and though I apologize for my part, I think that at this point the drift that we are experiencing is for the best. I need some time. I need to be around people who love me enough to listen. I need to feel valued as a person. I love you and I think you have some wonderful qualities, but right now distance from me is one of those good qualities.

Love,
Molly

No comments:

Post a Comment